Monday, April 22, 2013

Of Lost Dreams and Detour

Date published: March 31,2013

I was going through the notes of my Facebook account when I saw again “Date A Girl Who Counts”. It reminded me that, 4 years ago, I was so sure of what I wanted in life and how I will achieve it. I can even remember that I thought the love of my life had come. I spent all my energy thinking I wanted to be a CPA. But lo and behold, fate really has a bad sense of humor. Well, sort of.

Ever since I wanted to be a lawyer and had a plan of taking up Political Science. But weeks before my senior year in HS started, I decided to take up Accountancy instead for my pre-law, mainly because of practical reasons. After graduating in high school, my reaction in entering college was just like everybody else’s, so enthusiastic and full of hope. It is a new start after all. However, my oh-so-high enthusiasm for my first choice of program suddenly dropped like an economy hitting a recession during the 2nd term. I got low energy, not really looking forward to any subject related to my program. I actually enjoyed more the art-related subjects that business ones. I just lived my everyday life wishing that this misery will end. A year after, my grades dropped. For the first time, I got a failing final grade. Surprisingly, I was not that affected. Also, I was with this guy who wanted all my attention to him. Which left me being stuck with my current situation, without any plan B or C or even until Z. It hurts to see your goals falling apart right in front of you. Starting from a detour I though would lead me to something better, I had it worse. I thought myself hopeless and started to even self-destruct. On my 2nd year I got debarred from my college and had to transfer to another school. My parents wanted me to continue Accountancy though I have told them I got no interest. But they are my parents, so yeah, had to stick by their rules. I transferred and continued my journey towards becoming a CPA. Somehow, maybe by luck, I got removed from the BSA program. I actually felt relieved but somewhat frightened as to what my father will tell me. Anyway, I am now taking up Financial Management and I am really enjoying and loving my course, even.

I do not know if I still want to be a lawyer someday. Right now, all I can see myself is doing work at a bank. Probably a Vice President or something. After 4 years, I am taking a path different from what the 11-year-old me visualized. Do I have any regrets? Well yes, failed grades and poor performance during my first 2 years in college. But I am thankful for my failures, if not for it I wouldn’t be the way I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment